Thursday, April 7, 2011

How I Made a Maternity Skirt

Well, I didn't make it from scratch. I bought the skirt at a garage sale (I know April is a little early, but it was a USU charity project) and I had a maternity tank top that my sister-in-law handed down to me. It didn't fit her, and it didn't fit me even at 18 weeks. I checked the tag and it read "one size fits all." Psh yeah right. Anyways, it's the same material you find in belly bands on most maternity pants, so I thought I would risk it..

Step One: remove waistband from skirt (and zipper)
I've made a few garments in sewing classes over the years, so I know that the waistband curves inwards and my preggo belly will be curving outwards, so this has gotta go.
 If a zipper has to be removed, then sew the side seam back together before going any further.
This skirt was actually a few sizes too big, so I took in a generous amount to fit my thighs and butt better.


Step Two: cut top "sleeves" off of maternity tank.
After I was done with the skirt, I realized I could have easily gotten by with half this amount of fabric for the belly band. However, I'm not complaining. I'm sure I will appreciate the extra fabric when I am 8 and 9 months along.


Step Three: pin two raw edges together, ride sides touching. Make sure the seam will be on the inside.
 (Again, sorry the picture is not turned correctly. I tried four times, I swear.) The pinning is difficult and I almost enlisted help from someone else. The belly band material will be smaller and must be stretched to fit the skirt (this is a good thing) but I had to be careful to make sure the pinning/stretching was even throughout the seam.


 Step Four: sew the seam with a "stretch" stitch and ballpoint needle. (sorry no picture)
Too bad the fabrics don't match, but I doubt anyone will even see the white material. I tried it on and it fits just like my other maternity skirt! I am so glad I now have a black skirt and a brown skirt. Perfect neutrals for any color top. Can't wait to wear it Sunday!


Later at Walmart I fell in love with this lamp. I want it soooo bad! It would match the nursery perfectly.
The name of the color/design is called "everglade" which is exactly what I'm looking for - green, fresh, and leafy to go with the citrus lemons.
 I want I want I want I want.

2 comments:

Alyssa Harper said...

You're so talented! That skirt looks fabulous!

Rick and Camille said...

Wow way to go Kelsey! Your skirt is way cute! You are so creative, I just love your fun ideas of how to decorate etc. :)

Post a Comment