Friday, April 29, 2011

Seasonal Clothes Switch-eroo

I recently read this post and through most of I was thinking "I already do that. Yep, that's not new." But then I realized... I'm having a baby! And a fast growing one, too. I need to come up with a seasonal clothing switch-out system for Baby J, that works, too!

So here are my thoughts on my current organization. Journaling (aka blogging) helps me organize my thoughts, always has, hence the post.

When I was in high school I got a gift card to Barnes and Noble, which we don't have in Logan. So on one of the rare occasions I got out of the valley I stopped in and frantically tried to find something to spend the card on before it expired. I found this.
It was a match made in heaven. I knew very little about fashion and had always felt it was a little vain. I mean I did my make up, and wore cute clothes, but I never fussed over it like most other girls. This book talked about ORGANIZING and BUDGETING and finding clothes that worked for more than one outfit/occasion. I loved it.

So, I will now share a part of my fashion bible with you tonight. Ahem.

The chapters are ORGANIZED (I love that word) like this:
1 Be your own stylist - this chapter talks about finding a color pallete, and identifying your body shape. No need to go out wearing something that makes you look like a bafoon.
2 Edit Your Wardrobe - my favorite chapter. In three simple steps it shows you how to clean your closet (Prep, Plan, Sort).
3 Fall/Winter Wardrobe
4 Spring/Summer Wardrobe - I like that these chapters lay out a basic "needs" list and how many ways each "need" can be used, therefore explaining why each is so important.
5 Lingerie, Jewelry and Travel - I love the travel section. It inspired me to do this.
6 No Regrets Shopping - basically how to shop smart. Make each purchase worth the money you paid.

I cannot express how much I love this book. I could go on for hours about it, and if you are one of those who have heard me mention this book, you know I have gone on for hours about it.

But I just want to touch on the cleaning your closet chapter. The book advises to move seasonal clothing out every six months. Now that I'm out of adolescence and I stay the same size for years at a time (instead of months) I now hang on to clothes much longer (yes I'm that young). So putting away seasonal clothes and pulling them back out again six months later makes much more room in my closet for, well, more!

The book also advises trying everything on, and making a "needs attention" pile. Whether it's worn out, too small, or needs mending/dry cleaning, pull it out and don't put it back until it is ready to be worn. Some things will never come back to your closet, and that can be sad. But I learned a long time ago, when I first entertained my clothes/stuff purging addiction, that getting rid of clothes that carried emotional baggage feels GOOD. And a LOT of clothes carry emotional baggage, we're women, we can't help it. Sometimes we hang on to things because someone close to us gave it as a gift. But do we actually wear it? Do we actually like it? I feel comfortable hanging on to guilty-gift-clothes for one year, and if I haven't worn it more than once (out of guilt) then just get rid of it. It sounds mean, but it is taking up valuable space in my closet and filling me with remorse each time I look at it. For the record, I DO keep most of my gift clothes because I actually DO like them. I am getting better at being honest with others when we are on shopping trips, and therefore ending up with guilty-gift-clothes much less often. :)

 Anyways, the chapter goes on to talk about how to store things like purses (stuffed with grocery sacks, sitting upright so they don't get funny creases), and how to make your closet less scary. Two biggest investments I have always found the money pennies for are: plastic hangers and bins for sweaters.
Wire hangers put funny points in any top. Plastic ones come in different colors and can be easier for organizing.
Sweaters MUST be folded and not hung on hangers. No hanger out there is amazing enough to keep a sweater from sagging and stretching out. BUT sweaters folded on a shelf never stay folded. At least not in my house. Mine get swapped out of a certain bin every six months for swimsuits.

Now that I've shared some of my insight, DON'T come look at my closet next time you're at my house. I am in a very weird place with clothes right now. Pregnancy clothes and winter clothes and summer clothes are all being worn right now (thank you, Logan weather). Plus, as I mentioned before, I am expecting a baby soon and I hear they grow like weeds. What's an organizing crazy lady to do?

0 comments:

Post a Comment