Sunday, June 5, 2011

Little Bug's Debut

If you would like to see pictures, go to my facebook page. I am still unable to post pictures from my iPhone.

Little Bug is here! (formerly known as Baby J)
3 lbs 5 oz
17 inches long
Born at midnight the morning on June 2nd.

I wasn't going to share Little Bugs birth story but since this was a little different than I planned, I thought I would share the basics so I'm not repeating myself to everyone and exhausting myself more than I already am. Also, when I read Young House Love's birth story of baby Clara a few weeks ago, I was shocked but took a moment to try to prepare myself for any sudden changes in the pregnancy, and what-do-ya-know, my story played out a little like hers.

I previously posted about having preterm labor pains and contractions. Well, they cAme back Saturday night. We went to Labor and Delivery at Logan Regional and they gave me the same drug to stop the contractions they gave me on the 19th, only this time it didn't work. And neither did a few other drugs they gave me. after a few hours they checked my cervix and I was 2cm. A few hours later we made the call and I was wheeled into an ambulance and shipped off to McKay Dee hospital in Ogden. Once we got there they put me on pain killers and started a treatment of magnesium sulfate, the last shot at stopping or slowing down my contractions. 18 hours later, they finally slowed to about half their intensity. I came off the magnesium because it was making me very nauseous and I was running out of energy. Also, my cervix had dialated to a 4.
For the next few days I was ordered to bed rest AT McKay Dee (as if bedrest couldn't be more miserable) and was on a drug to keep the contractions as low as possible. I was pretty unhappy with this even though it was best for baby. But by wednesday I had made myself comfortable and had started a crochet project. Michael had gone back home, and planned to vist every other day.
Well that same day (Wednesday) around three pm my contractions were much more painful. Took the contraction drug early, and amped up the pain killers. All is well. 8pm I have the same horrible contractions, an 8 on the pain scale. More drugs, more pain killer. 9pm no change. A nurse from L and D came and checked my cervix. "You are coming with us, you're already a 6."
I was so scared. Michael was at home almost at work, mom was on a plane, my aunt had just left, and my sister in law was as far from me as Michael was. I called Michael and Aimee in tears and both jumped in their cars and raced down here.
My sweet nurse heard they were an hour away and told me she wasn't leaving my side until showed up, even if that meant going into the OR with me. She also sat on the bed and pushed on my pelvis to help relieve the pain as the other nurse pushed me down the hall to L and D.
Once in my room, they tried several sites for a new IV (ow) and called the epidural guy. He was in a C section, oh goodie.
Finally the IV was in and I begged for fentinol (very good pain killer) while we waited for the epidural guy. They said I could have some as long as I hadn't dialted more. Sure enough I was an 8 and no fentinol for me. I cried. Just then Michael and Aimee arrived. Soon after that the epidural arrived as well and I hung on Michael for support. Michael and Aimee distracted me by telling me funny stories aboutmy nieces and Michael about his day away from me. Within minutes my pain subsided and I was relieved.
My OB came in and broke my water. 15 minutes or so later I was 9cm, time to go (11:30pm). I was wheeled into the OR (all preemies are delivered in the OR) and my emotions were not where I wanted them to be. I wanted this moment to be peaceful and almost sacred. Once I heard the music playing over the radio and Michael stood beside me, I calmed myself as much as I could. Each contraction came and I gave all my energy to push. Three days of contractions had tired my body out. I started falling asleep between contractions.
At 12:02 am Thursday morning I gave one last push and immediatley heard what I was so scared I wouldn't hear: his cry. The doctor laid my Little Bug on my empty belly. I cried and reached down and held him while they cut the cord. A few misutes later Little bug and Michael went into another room to do apgar test and what not. I could not be happier in that moment. My baby was bigger than I imagined, and his lungs were working wonderfully.
The next morning we visited Little bug as much as we could. By lunch he was off the ventilator, and by dinner we were able hold him. We were told both of these milestones might not be reached for days. Thes next day he started his feeding line and hopeully by the end of the week he comes off the IV.
As scary as this was, it couldn't have gone better (other than waiting the remaining 10weeks). I am so happy he is here and so healthy. He is such an adorable little guy with light brown hair and beautiful dark eyes. He likes to be swaddled to fall asleep but by the time it's feeding time again, he has pushed and kicked all this covers off! He hasthe sweetest hiccups, like little mouse squeaks. His cry is so soft and his hands have a tight grip on whatever is closest, a finger or an IV tube. I love him to death and count down the days til I can take him to his real home.
Welcome Little Bug!

3 comments:

Abbey said...

Well, congrats! I'm so happy little bug is doing well. Keep us all posted, and thanks for sharing your birth story!

Rick and Camille said...

Wow! I'm so happy everything is alright with you & baby! Please let me know if I can help with anything! Also my husband just found out that he is your new hometeacher (I'm his partner for awhile :) so we're so excited to come visit with you soon!

Alyssa Harper said...

Congratulations! I saw your pictures on facebook. So cute! I'm glad everything's going okay. I wish I was still close by so I could come see you and your gorgeous baby!

Post a Comment