I just spent an hour and a half trying to get pictures off my iphone (my camera is temporarily lost) of some cool mending projects I have done recently and I am still unsuccessful. So I am just going to steal pictures off of google.
How to mend a broken zipper on jeans THE EASY WAY
Instead of spending several tedious, frustrating hours on taking out the zipper and replacing it with a new one (Mike said even he could do it. Does it really look that easy to some people? I about threw out the pants because just looking at that zipper gave me nightmares) I decided a strip of hidden velcro would do the trick and take only a few minutes of crude handstitching while I watched the Bachelorette (trashy show, I know, I know). Here is my stolen picture off the internet to illustrate:
The picture I took is much cooler (not).
Another alterations trick I figured out a few months ago was adding pretty trim to the bottom of skirts to get that extra 3 inches my LDS standards require. In the past I have added a bold 4" satin trim to the bottom of a green skirt and it came out a little askew (I am not exactly a perfectionist) and I wish I had put more time into it (wait, no I don't). So this method of adding frilly trim sounded much easier.
Here is another stolen picture (thank you google).
My skirt looks much like this one. The trim I added is about three inches wide and is two sheer black pieces folded over each other in a soft frilly way adding modesty but still fashionable. Maybe adding two layers of lace would get the same effect? I found the soft frilly trim in the trim section (duh) of Joann's next to the other bolts of lace trim. It was a little costly (for thrifty me) but it looks perfect and I plan to go back and use that method again sometime. I sewed the trim directly onto the lining of the skirt. If it didn't have a lining I would have handstitched it with tiny stitches to the inside of the gray material.
My next alterations project is this beauty from H&M
It is much to short to wear alone. Should I add trim? Add an under-skirt with lace or tulle? I'm afraid both of those ideas are too classy for jersey and would look out of place. Maybe just wear with jeggings like I originally planned? Hm. Well it still has the tags if I need to return it :( I love a challenge!



0 comments:
Post a Comment