Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thoughts on Christmas

   I just read "Let's discuss gift giving" at The Naptime Report and it got my cogs turning. I have been thinking for months about how I want to portray Santa to my kids, and what Christmas traditions to begin now or in the near future.

   Current Tradition: My mom started this a few years ago and I loved it so I am starting with my husband this year. Each year we each get to pick out a new ornament. We mark who's it is, and what year we picked it. Some examples of mine are: Glass Seattle Space Needle for the year we spent Christmas with my Uncle Wade in the rainy city. Glass Gondola for one of the many years I could not get my mind off ski season. Wooden Manger Scene - specifically Mary. I don't remember when I got this one but it reminds me of the Christmas when my three cousins were living with us and we reenacted the Nativity scene. I was Mary, and my little curly-haired cousin, Nick was Joseph. I wore my pink bathrobe and I remember feeling very privileged and royal, like a princess. Maybe it was the sweet innocence of a four year old, or maybe it was the fact that I, the only girl and one of the youngest of seven kids in the house, got the lead role in our theatrical presentation. I'll never forget that Christmas.

   Portrayal of Santa: When I was a kid, I was thoroughly convinced Santa was real. I knew not everyone believed in him so I kept it to myself most of the time. However, my home was a religious home. And Santa is not in the Bible. Or the Book of Mormon. The year that I learned there was no Santa, was the year I got to help pick out and wrap "Santa's" gifts. This helped soften the blow, and being 4th in line, I felt very privileged (again) to know what everyone was getting that year. I'd like to do this with my kids as well. Upon reading The Naptime Report today, Abby (I think that's her name), told us that Santa at her house brings toothbrushes and socks, leaving the bigger stuff from the parentals. I like that credit is given to the parents, not out of selfishness, but out of realism. Rocking horses don't just magically appear out of nowhere. They cost money, and money is hard earned by Dad, and/or Mom. And someday they (the kids) can get jobs and be able to spend their hard earned money, too.

   I remember a Christmas or two that I received more gifts on the "need list," and less on the "want list." Call me materialistic, but those gifts were a bit depressing. All year long our family scrimped and saved, and tried our best to make do, be positive, and not complain. Christmas came around and our little hearts fluttered with excitement, hoping for a break from frugality. For Christmas is a time of miracles. But alas, needs are needs and wants are wants.
   I believe kids get 50% of their excitement out on Christmas morning. The other 50% of the enthusiasm is expressed on the playground at recess, a week later. "What did you get for Christmas?"
"I got a coat."
"I got a dolley. Her eyes open and close, and I can dress her if five different dresses!"
"I got Buzz Lightyear. His wings pop out, he has a laser, and he says 'To infinity, and beyond!'"
"I got a snowboard." For real? Your parents spent $300 on a single gift for you this year? Ouch.
   Obviously there will always be the kid(s) who have the most extravagant gifts and you can't stop that. But I'm sure the kid who got the dolley felt a little better than the kid that got a coat. That makes you look like the Angel Tree charity kid. Getting something new any other time of the year is different, its not a competition, you don't feel 2 inches tall when everyone in the cafeteria got more and bigger. Post Christmas recess-time can be brutal. Going to an elementary school with majority wealthy kids (children-of-CEOs-wealthy), I know this. We weren't really that poor, and my parents did they best they could. On the other hand, coats are needed, and they can be pricey. It is practical to use it as a Christmas gift, I agree. I was pretty excited to get a new winter coat for Christmas. Until recess came around.
   I hope I always have enough money to give a comfortable Christmas to my kids. Where they get a fair share of needs and wants, and something to talk about on the playground. Like a buzz lightyear.

P.S. Did you hear the news about Pioneer Woman? Her book is being released in February!

0 comments:

Post a Comment