Love: chance to wear layers (leather jackets, sweatshirts, coats, scarves), crafts/decorating, food (gingerbread, pumpkin, and anything with those two flavors), and HOLIDAYS.
Hate: winter begins during the holidays. Which isn't that bad except when the holidays are over I would like the snow to leave as well. From January 1st to June 1st it is a frozen wasteland here and the only thing going through our minds is "Why do we live here, again?"
I love love loooove the holidays. I love buying Christmas presents and I enjoy starting early so I can plan each gift thoughtfully. Some gifts work out nicely and others I just pull it out of my hiney. Last year, with Michael, I did all gifts relating to one specific thing. This year will be a little more difficult because I have lots of small ideas instead of one grand suprise.
As my siblings and I all grow older and get married we struggle in the tansition to "grown-up gifts" instead of toys and gag gifts. Especially since we won't spend every year together and that raises the question of "should we still get everyone gifts? should we trade names again? should we mail them out, or have an exchange party?"
Mike and I are going to be out of town this year so we've opted to mailing or dropping them off personally before we leave for warmer weather. I have no idea what my siblings plans are for gift exchange, and I don't really mind because regardless of if/what they get us, I still enjoy picking something out special for them. Is that weird? I like getting something just cuz. Especially since I
I have so far only about 8% of my holiday shopping taken care of this year. But! I have an idea I am pondering to simplify gifts. I want to keep it inexpensive and personal, but not too complicated (ie: homemade gifts). Two ideas actually.
Idea #1: The same gift for each sibling to share with their family. For example, four Yellowstone books with a Christmas card attatched with an personalized message on each.
Idea #2: Themed gifts. Like a basket with small fun gifts all with the same theme ie: movie night, camping, ect. This idea could get complicated and expensive in a hurry, but it would be so much more fun! I already have so many themes buzzing in my head. Maybe I purge all of them after the holidays and I have already suprised my siblings.
Now the question is, should I do the same for out of town in-laws? What about grandparents? Gah! I'm already smiling, bring on the festivities!

0 comments:
Post a Comment