Monday, October 17, 2011

Monday: This Week's Goals

This week I have made a few goals and I thought I would share them here in blogland so as to get them set in stone. As much as a goal can be set in stone.

Goal #1: To Put a Certain Bad Habit to Rest
I am quite self conscious of this certain bad habit so I'm not sure I will disclose what that habit is. It's nothing really awful, something very small actually. But I have tried for years to kick this habit, using several different methods, and I think I found a method that will work this time (even though I say that every time).

Let me introduce: Ferrero Rocher

So. Flippin. Good! 
I don't have these very often because no matter how large or small the package, they don't last by the end of the night. I had a bunch of these this weekend and a thought came to my mind, "I would do dang near anything for some more of these." Hmmmm. Anything?
So every day that I go allll day without doing this stubborn habit, I will reward myself with one of these at the end of the night. It's gonna take a lot of self control, but recently I have been way more motivated to kick this habit. It's just embarrassing. And to be sure I don't break the rules and sneak my sweets early or more than one a day, I have them secured a cookie jar. The kind of cookie jars that have a latch and seal (so everything stays fresh). I have been known to forget about sweets in this cookie jar because treats are usually in the cupboard. If I can't see them then I won't eat them, right?
We'll see.

Goal #2: Get Little Bug's Fussiness Under Control
I am very sure there are two reasons for his fussiness. Nursing and lack of routine.
Let me explain. Bug is not a very good nurser. He was introduced to the bottle in the NICU for obvious reasons (so we could get the heck out of there before, say, Christmas) and most of the time he nursers OK, but if he is the slightest bit tired or cranky, he falls asleep or fights me. After several times a day of this for 4 months, I am going nuts. I've done everything. We even had a lactation consultant with us every day in the NICU to guide the two of us along, and I'm just spent.
So we are going to slowly start dropping nursing feeds. He takes bottles in 10-15 minutes as opposed to nursing for 30 minutes on and off for over and hour. Bottles make Mommy happy and baby happy. 

As for the lack of routine, Mike and I haven't had a routine in almost 2 years. Shortly after we got married we both got jobs at RR Donnelly on the graveyard shift. The job didn't last long because Mike got a different position at his current job on the graveyard. 
Let me just say, this new job is a godsend. Amazing benefits, steady hours, senority for when the hours run thin, and a reliable pay check. But it really threw us off balance. 
Before Bug came along, It didn't matter when either of us slept or ate, just as long as we got 8 hours of sleep and 3 square meals in the 24 hour period. Whenever I tried to straighten out my schedule the weekends would always throw us thru a loop. Do I stay up late or does he get up early? We had to see each other on the weekends, because we definitely weren't seeing each other on the weekdays. And don't even start me on how difficult is has been to get to church. We still struggle with weekends big time. 
Now that Bug is here and he is awake most of the "day" we can't handle three screwy schedules. No one sleeps. 
So that's one problem with setting a routine. The other is now that Mike is busy with school and other obligations, I don't have a car most of the day. And when I do, Mike is trying to get a few precious hours of sleep in. Every chore and every errand must have a certain time assigned to it. Ugh. I hate such a strict schedule.

So there you have it. Goals. Yeah, we'll see.

0 comments:

Post a Comment