Friday, February 17, 2012

8 Months: This is Way Over-Due


 New haircut, although this is two weeks old so it looks shaggy now.

 Little Bug would not hold still for his photo shoot this month so
 I had to improvise and hand him a rattle. 
These are the only clear shots out of 50 or so.





  • Little Bug is eating solids like a champ. In fact on the days I am lazy/forgetful, he is a bit more finicky and more difficult to get down for a nap. I just can't keep up! His favorite foods has expanded a little from last month to: bananas, sweet potatoes, bread slices, and most of all graham crackers. He has tried puffs, crispy rice cereal, and the freeze-dried yogurt blobs but spits them all back out. I am determined to not have another picky eater in the house. (ahem, Michael)
  • He is sitting quite well, although his balance is terrible and he expects us to catch him when he absentmindedly reaches too far for a toy. We are going to try a few tricks in the coming weeks but he is getting better each day.
  • A few weeks ago I was worried he wasn't acting socially enough and notified the ever-so-helpful developmental program, Up To 3. Then, as if overnight, he perked right up and started "talking" to us, trying new sounds (even to the point of gagging himself haha!), laughing regularly, and even started whining. Yes, whining. Oh dear, I thought that phase wasn't going to come for quite awhile. Whenever I take away one of his favorite toys he arches back and screeches. We're in trouble now.
  • He is an avid roller. Just in the last week he has been known to cross great lengths just by rolling. So now, he actually LOVES "tummy time" because it turns into exploring time. He hasn't gotten on all fours yet and we are trying a specific exercise to "force" him into it. For now he just flops back down and reaches and rolls for everything he wants. The developmental specialist reminded me that crawling isn't necessarily a precursor to walking to as long he his moving somehow, it's not a top priority. We will keep working on it though.
  • We bought Bug an exersaucer this month at a consignment shop here in town and he likes it for the most part. I am glad we got the "triple play" exersaucer which breaks down into a little play table for him to play with once he starts walking. Also, the other third of the "triple play" is a play mat which I think he has out grown already because of the rolling. 
  • I wish I could figure out my silly video camera and get some videos posted on here cuz we have some doozies. One he is playing with cheerios by taking a balled up fist and trying to smash each one individually which just results in the cheerios bouncing ferociously up and down until they find their way off the tray. Also, another video clip is of Bug laughing hysterically at.... (wait for it...).... packing tape. I know, right? How weird. But he has his head thrown back and everything, like I'm Jay Leno or something.
  • Little Bug reaches for everything these days. And let me tell you, he is good at reaching. He and I are constantly battling over the remote and my cell phone. Usually when I'm in the store I'll give him something to hold slobber until we get to the check out line. Yesterday it was at Joann's and by the time we got to the checkout, I told the lady to just scan it and I would drop it in the bag for her, to save her from having to touch the soaked item. (sometimes his toys are just not as cool as whatever Mommy is holding)
  • We just pulled out the 12 month clothes and some are already snug. I can't believe my little preemie is such a tank.
  • He loves standing but hasn't really taken any steps yet.
  • We find new tickle spots every so often. Lately it's his arm pits he goes wild over.
  • Tonight he fed himself for the first time. Well, at least entirely for the first time. We were on our way to the store and as we were getting in the car he wanted to be fed right then. So I handed him his bottle in the car seat and told him to give it a try and I would feed him the rest once we got there. Well we got to the store and he still hadn't dropped the bottle! I was so surprised, I let him finish in the cart as we did our shopping. He has been holding his own bottle for the last two months or so but lately he has figured out that he has to hold still or the bottle drops. He still has no interest at holding it when he is trying to fall asleep, but that's ok, I like the bonding.
  • Books have started to become interesting. Mostly to his mouth but whatever.
  • Bug had his eye exam this month as a check up from the NICU and it came clear. They want us back in once a year just to be sure since preemies usually have bad eyes.

Hopefully that's everything... sorry this is such a long post but as you can tell I haven't been on much lately. I haven't been up to much craft-wise, at least not much that counts. Just catching up in scrapbooking and a few sewing projects. Counting down the days until summer...

1 comments:

Amanda J said...

That's awesome that he loved packing tape so much. I would love to see the video of that!

Post a Comment