So, with September just days away, it seems I've caught the fashion bug. I picked up the September issue of InStyle magazine (600 pages, it was more like i hauled off with a furniture dollie) and began my usual ritual or pouring over the pages and trimming out any and everything I liked. Although this time I decided to make it more worthwhile and jotted down a page of Fall Fashion Goals. My budget is never very large for fashion (or anything else for that matter) but I love to brainstorm, so that when I see the perfect item at Old Navy, Dillard's, or even the thrift store I know a treasure when I see one.
My three big goals for this season are: Scarves, Jewelry, and a Trench Coat. This weekend I made a trip to Joann's and bought three pieces of fabric for silky, sensational scarves (pictures soon to come). I picked out an emerald green piece, 1 yard long for the square cut, plus two other cuts, 1/2 yard each, one cream with purple flowers, and the other a very natural brown and cream ZEBRA PRINT. Yikes, I know. I'm taking a step of faith here. Each piece of fabric cost between $3 and $5, all being on sale of course. There were so many silky prints to choose from (even in the clearance section!) I stumbled for several hours (thank heavens I didn't drag Mike along) bewildered and giddy.
My big challenge was how to finish them? The cream-with-purple-flowers was practically see-through but fraying terribly at the edges. The ZEBRA PRINT was solid but the backside was a bad washout. The Emerald scarf is possibly going to be the easiest (haven't done it yet) because it looks the same on the front and back (which is which?). I will probably simply double-fold hem each edge and call it good.
I finally came to a conclusion that i would sew the first two scarves together without pressing the edges to keep the flowy effect. Once I finished the ZEBRA PRINT I cast my eyes across my craft table/computer desk and some small soft coconut shells and shimmery fresh water pearls caught my eye. I added the trim with just sewing needle and thread, adding several "security" stitches to each "tassel". I don't know if I will add trim to the cream-with-purple-flowers because it is so lightweight and thin, I'm afraid it will tear the fabric. I'm open for ideas! None of my purple beads seemed to really match...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment